In India the only pizza that I knew, before Pizza Hut and Domino's pizza entered the Indian market was the veg pizza available at "Shiv Sagar" restaurant.Anyone who is from Mumbai will definitely be familiar with this chain of restaurant, which is most famous for its pav-bhaji. Shiv-Sagar used to make this veg pizza which was nothing but small pizza base covered with tomato sauce and with toppings of onion, green capsicum, mushroom and heaps of shredded Amul cheese.The pizza used to be served with tomato sauce and chilli sauce and I used to like that pizza .Later when I moved to US I had my first taste of the real large size pizza . Man was it big.
It was during my stay there that I learned of a special vegeterian pizza which is actually a dish native of Sicily an island of Italy.My husband's colleague who is an Italian had moved to US from Italy and one night over dinner she treated us to a home made veg pizza.This pizza did not contain any of the usual veges, rather it was made of boiled potatoes and cheese . She had the pizza base prepared at home . And should i dare to say it was the best pizza I ever had in my life and I knew I had to ask her the recipe. I try my best to get it as close to her preparation but as they say it is difficult to duplicate original...
So here come the recipe
Frozen pizza base available in super markets
2 large potatoes boiled -do not over cook them - Remove skin and cut thin round slices
Tomato sauce 2-3 tbsp
Tomato paste2-3 tbsp
garlic finely chopped 1/2 tsp onion finely chopped 1 tbsp
fresh basil leaves
black pepper as per taste 1/4 tsp
Pizza sauce-1. In a vessel heat around 1 tsp olive oil , when hot add chopped garlic and saute for a minute.
2. Now add chopped onion and saute on medium flame for 2-3 mins till onion turn soft.Do not let the onions turn brown.
3. Now add the tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir till it make a nice sauce.Add little water to get good consistency.
4.Let sauce simmer for 5 mins , now add few basil leaves, a pinch of black pepper powder and salt as per taste.
5.Mix all together and remove from stove. Sauce is now ready.
1. Take the pizza base and spread sauce evenly on the base.
2. Take the round slices of boiled potatoes and add salt and black pepper powder to it and mix well.Take care not to break the potatoes.
3.No place the potato slices on the pizza base. Sprinkle oregano powder on the potato slices Now add the cheese as per choice.For best taste add lots of cheese.
3. Spread 4-5 basil leaves roughly chopped on the pizza.
4. Finally drizzle some olive oil on pizza.
5. Bake in oven at 225deg C for 25-30 mins.Check in between to see that pizza does not burn.
You will know the pizza is ready when the pizza base turns crispy.