Thursday, September 8, 2011

"Kande Pohe"- Spicy Flattened Rice


"Pohe"or "Poha" as some people may call it, is the most loved and eaten breakfast or snack in any Maharashtrian house.  At my mummy's place we used to have Pohe every sunday morning for breakfast .If for some reason my mom could not make it, my brother & me used to make a face.Even today if you go on a Sunday morning to my parents house chances are you will be eating pohe for .I also try to make it on weekends but sometimes if I cannot make it, then I make it on a weekday. Having had pohe religiously for so many years it was but natural I developed a liking for it &this was the first dish that I learnt from my mother. Other than the usual  ingredients like onions and potatoes my mom used to add green peas and trust me it tastes wonderful.So here is my mothers recipe for pohe.
Ingredients
Pohe/Pohe - 2 cups  (You need to use the thick poha , if you use the thin one the dish will become mushy)
Onions finely chopped - 1 big
Potatoes thinly chopped- 1/2
Green peas boiled- 1/4 cup
Green chillies- long slit 1- 2 (use this depending on you liking for hotness)
ginger very finely chopped- 1 inch
curry leaves- 6-8
Cumin seeds- 1tsp
Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing- a pinch
shredded coconut for garnishing - 1/4th cup
Chopped coriander -for garnishing
Lime juice- 1/2 lime'
Turmeric-1/4th tsp
Salt
pinch of sugar
Oil- 4tsps

Method-
1. Heat around 3 to 4 big tsps of oil in a pan.Use oil generously otherwise the pohe will become dry.
2.When the oil becomes hot lower the flame &  add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and hing.When they crackle add the chopped ginger, green chillies and curry leaves.Cover with a lid immediately for a minute. This will retain the flavor and smell of the curry leaves.Make sure not to burn it.
3. Remove lid and add chopped potatoes and onions and saute for a minute.Place back the lid back and pour some water on the lid and let the potatoes and onions cook on steam.
4.When the potatoes and onions are almost cooked (this will take around 10-15mins depending on your potatoes) add the boiled green peas and lower the flame to minimum.
5.Now take the poha and put in a colander/straining vessel and pour some water, strain the water immediately and repeat the process 2-3 times till the poha become soft. Remember to strain all the water from the poha by pressing it between you palm.This is a very tricky step as if you leave the poha in water for long it can turn all mushy.I messed it up the first time but overtime I have got it correct.
6.Now place this soft poha  on a dish.Add some salt and the turmeric.
7.Add this poha to the cooked onion-potato mixture in the pan.Add a pinch of sugar and the lime juice Mix well.Taste a little and adjust salt and lime juice accordingly.Again cover with lid and cook for 3-5 minutes.
8.Remove from the gas add some of the shredded coconut and coriander and mix well.Serve hot and garnish again with coriander and sev if you like.





No comments: