"Chicken Lollipop" or fried Chicken Drumletts is a very popular dish served as a starter in Indian Chinese restaurants in India.In some restaurants for some reason it is also called as " Drums of heaven" .When we went to any Chinese restaurants in India it was one of the must have starters . Nowdays it is even served at parties as finger food and its popularity is just growing.
The Chicken drumletts are marinated using a mix of Indian and Chinese sauces it is then coated in a spicy red batter and then deep fried.It is served with a spicy schezwan sauce.A few weeks back I had made these batter fried chicken drumletts at home.I used some ingredients which i saw in a few recipes online.It turned out to be very tasty and hubby has asked me to make it often.For this i used the chicken drumletts that is the smaller version on drumsticks.Drumsticks can be too big and thick so better to use drumletts or wingletts
Chicken Drumletts- 8 pieces
Garlic pods -15pieces
Ginger- 2 inch
Chilli sauce- 1 tbsp
Soy sauce 1/2 tbsp
Tomato sauce - 1tbsp
Black pepper powder- 1/4 tsp
Red food color
Cornstarch/Cornflour- 4 tbsp
All purpose flour/Maida- 2 tbsp
Oil for frying
1. Clean the chicken and rub some salt and black pepper and keep aside.
2. Make paste of garlic and ginger. Keep 1/4 th aside and use remaining for marination
3. In a mixing bowl take the chicken and add ginger garlic paste, Red chilli sauce, soy sauce, tomato ketchup and red color and mix well.Coat the chicken in this marinate and keep it aside for 3 hrs minimum.
4. When ready to fry make the batter.In a bowl mix cornflour, Maida , red color and the remaining ginger garlic paste.Add little salt and red color.Add water to have semi thick consistency.
5. In a frying pan take oil . Take the marinated chicken and dip in the batter to coat and fry in hot oil.
6. Fry for around 3-5 mins on medium heat or till chicken is done.Remove and drain on tissue paper.
Take some aluminum foil and wrap it around the leg part.Serve hot with sauce.