Friday, April 15, 2011

Tomato Saar- A simple enjoyable coconut based Tomato curry



When my in laws visited us for the first time in Singapore, I was both excited and a little nervous, as it was the first time my in laws were visiting us. There was a lot going on in my head, like thinking about what dishes to prepare, how do they like their spice levels etc. But it was all so smooth.They made all so easy for me, that within a few days of their coming I was more than relaxed. Also bonus I got the opportunity to learn some great dishes from my mother in law. Some of the dishes she prepared were so easy,simple but yet so tasty that I still can't get over them and they have become a part of our day to day meals. One such dish that I liked a lot was the "Tomato Saar". One fine day my mother in law said she will make Tomato Saar.I initially thought it will be a tomato-onion based gravy with few potatoes, but what I ate was out of the world.I took the recipe from my mother in law and now I make it on a regular basis.I made one this week and also managed take a few snaps so here I am sharing this recipe.
Ingredients:
Ripe Tomatoes - 2 medium
Coconut milk -1 cup
Curry leaves-6-8 leaves
Green chillies-1 chopped
Jaggery-1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Mustard seed-1/4tsp
Ghee/Clarified butter-1 tbsp
chopped coriander for garnishing
salt
Method-
1.Boil the tomatoes in water till the skin begins to crack.Remove from water and peel the skin off and make a puree in the mixer and keep aside.
2.In vessel add 1tsp ghee and when it become hot add cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
3.When the seeds begin to crackle add green chillies and the curry leaves and saute for a minute.
4.Now add the tomato puree and bring it to boil.
5.When it starts to boil add the coconut milk and let is simmer for few minutes and bring to boil again.
6.Finally add jaggery as per required sweetness and salt.The taste of the curry should not be very sweet so add jaggery accordingly.
7.Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with white steamed rice.


No comments: